The Western Front Today - Sanctuary Wood Museum
Sanctuary Wood is said to have earned its name in October 1914 when it was used as a 'sanctuary' to stragglers waiting to rejoin their units. At this time Sanctuary Wood was a relatively quiet area.
This was to be short-lived and its name deemed most inappropriate from November 1914 onwards.
After the war the wood was turned into a private museum by the land's owners, the Schier family (in whose hands it remains to this day).
They realised at an early stage that the wood would be of great interest to pilgrims and tourists. The trench lines and dugouts were enclosed, and the shattered trees fenced in.
The museum was closed during WW2 and the artefacts buried under concrete in the cellar. Visiting Germans were told that the artefacts had been stolen by the British.
Today Sanctuary Wood is considered by many to offer the finest preserved trenches on the Western Front.
Aside from battlefield artefacts the interior of the museum offers 3D stereoscopic photographs of highly graphic scenes taken during the war.
Nearby the museum is Sanctuary Wood CWGC Cemetery, containing over 2,000 burials. Also close to Sanctuary Wood museum is the Canadian Memorial at Hill 62 (also known incorrectly as 'Mount Sorrel', both during and after the war, even unto the present day).
The area was known as Hill 62 because the area was literally 62 metres above sea-level.
Film Footage of Sanctuary Wood Museum (1)
Film Footage of Sanctuary Wood Museum (2)
Film Footage of Sanctuary Wood Museum (3)
Film Footage of Sanctuary Wood Museum (4)
Film Footage of Sanctuary Wood Museum (5)
Before Endeavours Fade, Rose E.B. Coombs, After the Battle 1994
Major & Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide - Somme, Leo Cooper 2000
A bunker comprised a fortification largely built below ground level.
- Did you know?